Wasabi P!

We need your time, and your effort... and your money

I made the mistake of signing a petition for an environmental organization a few months ago. They were petitioning a specific issue before the municipal government at the time, and I basically supported it, and so signing didn't seem like an issue. After hearing the whole spiel about their organization, they asked for my email address, and so I gave them one that I use only for spam-risky signups.

As I was still writing down my contact information, they told me how happy I was that I had joined their organization, and asked if I would be giving them a check for the membership fee (not previously discussed) or credit. I told them that I was not in a position to donate financially to their organization. They insisted that as little as $50 would help to ensure the quality of the environment for generations to come.

I told them that they were lucky to have my signature on their petition, and that if they didn't want it, I would be happy to remove it. They then insisted that $20 was the minimum contribution, and that they would be perfectly happy to send me a bill so I could pay it at my discretion.

I hadn't heard from them again until tonight when a woman from the organization called me on my way home to discuss a bill before the state legislature that they opposed. I told her that I was not well educated on the bill, but she promised to mail me a form letter I could sign and forward to my representative expressing my concern about the bill. I told her I would review the letter and the bill and consider sending it on.

At that point, she informed me that my membership in the organization was expiring and that I could pay the quarterly fee of $90 by credit card over the phone right away. I told her that I was not interested in contributing financially to the organization, nor was I in any position to do so. She asked if I didn't care about the quality of the environment, and I told her that I was an student with no income to donate. She then offered to let me pay $10 per month until I got back on my feet. I told her that if I had $10 a month, I'd buy health insurance, and maybe some new socks.

She made another plea to save the earth for my children, and accused me of only paying the environment lip service, which might be true, but it was rude to mention it. I hung up, convinced that this is why so many people hate environmentalists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home