Wasabi P!

Where U at Rock?

It's been so long since I posted here last that you might have assumed the blog was dead. Close, but not quite.

Toward the end of 2005, I was going through a period of intense frustration, both in my personal life and with my research and school life. These feelings, plus lingering grief over the Katrina tragedy left me feeling bleak and cynical. Everything that seemed worth writing about was a complaint or a rant about some perceived injustice or slight, and the monotony of my expression led me to stop posting for what I thought was going to be a short while. My life became a race to get to the end of a semester that was full of disappointment. I had hope that once I got through my classes, I could get back to writing and advance my research project.

On the evening of December 7, the final day of class, that hope ended. That night, a sudden freeze set in, and in my folly, I went outside to fetch some personal items from my car. I fell down outside my apartment and fractured my fibula. The break was severe enough to require surgery. Entirely because of the help of friends and family, I survived the next few days, underwent the surgical knife for the first time in my life, took a make-up final exam, and somehow avoided going crazy.

The next three weeks were a haze of pain and pain-killers. I was on crutches for the better part of two months, and wore a walking cast until late-February. I was in a brace until late March, and I was in physical therapy until just recently.

I meant to blog about the recovery process, but as many of you know, conversation with me almost exclusively revolved around my various physical ailments, pains, and medications. Basically, I had become a geezer. Really, who wants to read about plantar flexion and muscular atrophy?

Combined with my setback, a more serious medical situation that struck my supervisor over the holidays, and class responsibilities that spiraled wildly out of control through the spring semester, I'm pretty much back where I was mid-September of last year. Sure I could have been posting about all of this, but it was so painful for me to live through once, I hated to think about rehashing it all for you, dear reader.

I don't know if it was the fall and my feelings of helplessness (or the 35 pounds I've gained during my recuperation) but I've been feeling more contemplative and patient lately. Anyway, I'll try to resume this log, bringing with it more hope and optimism than I was capable of last time. And with that hope, I'll live a life that brings me the kinds of joyous experiences that are worth sharing with you.

Shine on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home