Wasabi P!

Insecurity?

A couple of situations this week convinced me that security is mostly a state of mind.

Earlier this week, I substitute taught a class. In order to use the AV equipment in the classroom, you need an access code for the projector switch and a key to the equipment cabinet. I was able to get the access code from the professor, but I had to do a little bit of legwork to find the key. When I found where the keys are handed out, the student at the desk asked me if I knew the access code, which he promptly said out loud in front of everyone, and then handed me a key without checking my ID. I asked when I had to return it and was told that it doesn't have to be returned.

Now I suppose that the access codes and keys are changed every year, though given that the codes and keys access every computer across campus, I don't expect that to be the case.

Also, when I moved into my new office, I found that the desk I was assigned to use was locked, and nobody had a key. I did not know this at the time, but the lock is on the utility drawer, and a lever in the back secures the file drawers. When the utility drawer is pushed in and locked, all three drawers are secure. Since I really needed to start putting things away, I unscrewed one bolt to loosen the utility drawer. It slid down enough to release the lever, and a second bolt loosened the utility drawer itself enough to slide out.

So one standard quarter-inch hex driver and about 60 seconds and I had completely defeated the locks on my desk. And to think I was thinking of hiding my laptop in there when I was out of the office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home