Wasabi P!

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Barbecue

Over the past 48 hours, the projected path for Hurricane Rita has moved farther and farther east. Austin is now pretty much completely out of the path of the storm. That didn't stop people yesterday from hording essentials like Y2K. Either people in Austin don't know how to give a measured response to crisis (which is possible if you remember how they behaved during that big ice storm a few years ago) or I have completely underestimated how the images of the destruction from Katrina have scarred the national psyche. There were long lines for gasoline, and various people told me of grocery stores completely sold out of bottled water and canned food.

Strangely, the response was not completely universal. One half block away from a gas station where 30 or so cars waited to refuel, I found another station where I had my pick of 7 immediately available pumps. The only other customer, a woman refueling her station wagon, said that other stations in the area were completely sold out certain octanes. I opted not to go to the grocery store, because I suspected that the lines and selection would be more favorable on the weekend.

Even though I feel a lot better about my personal safety, the eastward push puts a few of my family members at some risk. My immediate family will probably get a good heavy rain and some Tropical Depression-class wind. But what concerns me is that I have grandparents who live near the area where the storm is supposed to stall out for several days after passing quickly through east Texas. Though the storm will be weakened, power outages or slow response by emergency responders could be a problem.

Here in Austin, however, it looks like it will be a normal weekend, so our plans to hang out with the Doctor and her other half (back from Cali) are pretty firm. I'm looking forward to this because I haven't seen them in a while. Although hanging out with friends is more important, I have to say that dining on ribs and brisket from the Salt Lick also has its charms. I'll have be working on a 24 hour fast by the time I get there, so watch out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home